Technology - Detroit (HQ)
The Systems Engineer’s role is to ensure the stability, integrity and efficient operation of the in-house information systems that support core organizational functions. This is achieved by monitoring, maintaining, supporting and optimizing all networked software and associated operating systems. The Systems Engineer will apply proven communication, analytical and problem-solving skills to help identify, communicate and resolve issues in order to maximize the benefit of IT systems investments. The team is responsible for our production environment, including over 800 Linux-based servers that host all of our promotions.
Description and Responsibilities
- Gauge the effectiveness and efficiency of existing systems; develop and implement strategies for improving or further leveraging these systems.
- Monitor and test system performance; prepare and deliver system performance statistics and reports.
- Collaborate with other teams to ensure smooth and reliable operation of software and systems for fulfilling business objectives and processes.
- Design and perform server and security audits, system backup procedures and other recovery processes in accordance with the company’s disaster recovery and business continuity strategies.
- Create and maintain documentation as it relates to system configuration, mapping, processes and service records.
- Conduct research on software and systems products to justify recommendations and to support purchasing efforts.
Job Specifications and Competencies
- Working knowledge of network and server operating systems, including RHE Linux
- Excellent software troubleshooting experience (Java, PHP, and Perl)
- 5+ years of experience with core applications, such as Apache and MySQL
- Experience with Hybrid Cloud architectures utilizing technologies such as VMware, OpenStack and Public Cloud is preferred.
- Working technical knowledge of current software protocols and Internet standards
- Ability to handle multiple projects and tasks simultaneously
- Excellent organization, communication, follow-up skills, and attention to detail.